Most consumers aren't used to seeing warning labels on sugary products, and many candy items are too small to fit extensive caution statements on their packaging. However, while candy isn't usually dangerous for humans, it does pose a problem for some pets, which means that producers should think about including helpful information on their wrappers and containers to warn against misuse.
One of the most well-known dangers is giving chocolate to dogs. These animals can't digest chocolate properly, and if they consume it the results could send them to the vet or even kill them. A recent article in the Birmingham News focused on the harmful effects: "panting and anxious behavior" as well as the threat of pancreatitis.
It's not just chocolate that poses a threat to these animals. A separate article for Houston-based news source KTRK by Casey Curry mentioned that even candy that doesn't contain sugar is potentially hazardous. This is because sugar-free confections often contain an additive called "Xylitol," which, Curry writes, is "very toxic to dogs." Companies that mention this could give the impression that they are more sensitive and better-informed than the competition.
In addition to warning statements, candymakers should consider including descriptions of the steps that petowners should take if their dogs do accidentally ingest something they shouldn't. For chocolate, the Birmingham source quotes a veterinarian named Dr. Gregg Tucker, who recommends the use of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.
Such advisories are always applicable, but since candy is consumed in such high quantities around Halloween, businesses should be especially sensitive to the dangers at this time of year. With industrial labeling systems, candymakers will be able to produce appropriate and compliant labels quickly enough to keep pace with the Halloween season.